Saturday, October 16, 2010

Poems of Merry Ann Gelyn Soledad

Song of the Tiny Torches

I.
The ghosting fog has brought chill to the sleeping willows,
As I hear the grasses cry beneath my sore feet,
Simultaneously sings with moonlit brook which flows
From the snow-wrapped ridges of mountains standing zenith
Down to the lulling scents of lush green fields.

II.
Cicadas chirp, loons weep and the frightened heron’s wings flutter in the misty breeze
But nothing compares to the gathering of fireflies dressed in their soft neon bellies
Lighting the midst of the dark whose blank presence embraces me with fear
And takes me to the place I have ever known least; brims me out a tear
Making me believe that reality is never ever far to my dreamed fantasy
And fantasy is the reality of fabricated garment, woven in dreams that exist only in eternity.
                                                                                                   ---Soledad,M.A.G.---

A Walk in the Clouds


Life's promises are not to be trusted--
take my words.
They betray us.
That's what I think to date.
But not when I was young:
When I used to dream to have a walk in the clouds.

Those untouchable creations of God's graceful hands,
carpeting the roads that were laid down before me
and ecstasy led my errand.
Once I stared at them no woes,
no sorrows to remember...
...for awhile.

Now I'm a grown man
perhaps, a dying one;
Whose eyes are filmy and
cancer gnaws out the existency--
weakening my bones, eating my flesh,
until I can no longer ache--
A walk in the clouds is now just a sleep away.

I wish I was dead by now
So my spirit's free and floats
Into thin air
Where people alone can hardly breathe.

I wish these numbered days would soonly be over
So don't have
to stretch again my clumsy knees
and no more shackles
of fragility burden me...tail after me.
Only the rough soil beneath my soles
as I'm taking off from the ground and
do some walking in the clouds.
                                                                                     ---Soledad,M.A.G.---

Between Moon and Stars

The moon has always kept me thinking.

The stars have just flickered even brightly.

And I don't know how they let me watching

You: the one who owns that face so lovely.

Yet, still I'm wondering beneath this cobalt-blue moon

Imaginin' your face on the endless sky;

Hoping you and I will meet again, so soon

'Cause I want to be with you but I couldn't fly.


I miss the sweet scent of serenity in you

Each time a sudden breeze kisses me

And the fragrance of blooming peace too

Although courage ain't easy to burst from me.

The silence, waking the night, is drumming in my ear

Walking this moonlit street with an aching toe

It's your presence I'm longing for will keep me away from fear

I need you and it pains so much that you don't know.
                                                                                     ---Soledad,M.A.G.---

Filled-Out Blank

Space.White.Empty.Hollow.
--that was I
before you came
before you filled me out.
A white sheet of thin paper
so thin cuts the draft
 so thin leaves a papercut
on skin so delicate
on organ so frail.

You came to me with your ink dark heart
filling it in my shallow cartridge.

now I'm filled out
writ in love
can't find white eraser a rubber won't do.
You're done writing on me
you're done.
And now gone.

Now I'm overused
frayed by the happiness
I had with you
frayed by the loneliness
each time I miss you.

I am filled out
yet white
yet spaced
yet hollowed
yet emptied--

--by your ink dark heart
by the absence of your ambixtrous presence.

Blank.
My name is blank--no more, no less than a state of mind.
I am blank--no greater, no worse than an absence of emotion.

I am blank.
Blank.
                                                                           ---Soledad,M.A.G.---




No comments:

Post a Comment